oCarbon

Carbon Fiber Products

Blog

First attempt at matching B8 vent & MMI pieces

More and more B8 customers have been asking me if they could get vent and MMI pieces made in carbon fiber that matched the OEM carbon atlas trim.  I had some extra cores laying around so I figured I’d give it a shot.

The fabric I’m using for this is an 8 harness satin weave (8HS).  From what I can tell, it is identical to the fabric used on the OEM pieces.  While I’m confident that the fabric will be a match (or a very close match) I’m still uncertain of how close of a match the overall pieces will be.  Audi tends to use resins that have a slight brown tint to them, where as mine are totally clear.  Audi’s pieces are popped out of a mold and unfinished, where as mine are clearcoated and polished.  The only way to find out how close of a match they are is to go ahead and start making them.

These aren’t the best photos, but since the pieces are still in production and have a while to go, it doesn’t matter much.  I’ll take some better pics after I trim off the excess fabric and sand them smooth.

Up first is the vent piece.  If you look close, you can see the outlines of the edges of the piece.

The MMI piece.

Few detail shots of the fabric.

Progress on the B8 carbon kevlar sets…

With a little bit of resin on the pieces you can start to see their true color (especially compared to the pieces with just raw fabric).  These pieces will be going in the oven for cure in the next few days and then sanded smooth.  After that, they’ll be ready for clearcoat.

Just started some colored carbon/kevlar B8 sets…

The camera doesn’t really do these pieces justice (my cheapo digital that is covered in resin coupled with fluorescent lights in the warehouse).  The look like a bright red and blue, but in person they are more of a deep, subtle color.  Once I add the resin, they will darken up a bit as well.

I’ll continue to post pictures of these sets as I run through the production stages.

8HS B8 carbon fiber trim clearcoated

Got the 8HS B8 trim clearcoated a little while ago and it turned out pretty good.  These pieces should look very similar to the OEM carbon fiber trim, minus the faux metal piece that sits on the edges of the OEM set.

First 20oz B8 carbon fiber trim set finished…

I had posted up about a few custom B8 sets we’ve been working on and we finally got the first one wrapped up.  I’m really happy with how it turned out and can’t wait to get some pictures back of it installed.

I hope to have the other custom B8 sets finished by the end of the week.

You can compare these new 20oz shots to some older 11oz 2×2 twill B8 sets we made a few months ago.

Page 4 of 8« First...23456...Last »