oCarbon

Carbon Fiber Products

Blog

Bunch of new pics of some B8 parts

Lots of progress on the B8 vent and MMI pieces.  These will be getting sent out on Monday so hopefully we’ll have some installed pictures shortly.

Before we start, the black pieces are for the B8 A4/S4 and are done in a 11oz 2×2 twill.  The red pieces are for a B8 A5/S5 and are done in a 6oz 2×2 twill red carbon/kevlar hybrid.

About a week ago after the resin had cured.  Still a lot of work needed to be done to get these pieces looking good.

An hour or so with the Dremel and all the excess fiber is trimmed and grinded off the pieces.

These pieces are clearcoated and wetsanded.  I tend to do multiple coats of clearcoat, allow it to cure, wetsand, then more clearcoat.  I feel as this really enhances the overall look of the higher end pieces and gives them stunning depth.

After the second round of clearcoat, the pieces look great.

Couple of close up detail shots around the curves.  These pieces are extremely difficult to wrap because of how complex they are.  It usually takes multiple attempts to get it right.

The same pieces in red for the B8 A5/S5.  The pieces are very similar, but have some subtle differences.

More detail shots.

Finally we have the shifter pieces.  I’ll get these wrapped up and out to their respective owners in the next few days.  Can’t wait to see how the vent and MMI pieces look with the rest of the set.

Some installed pics of the first C6 A6 set…

Still working on the shifter plate but I got some images of the dash and door pieces installed.  I think it turned out very nice with the metal trim around the carbon fiber.

Finally finished up the C6 A6 trim…

Took me a while, but this set is finally done.

Had some trouble with the metal edges of the trim.  I couldn’t get them to stay in place long enough for the glue to set, so they kept popping out of place.

Ended up having to use some quick setting epoxy to get everything to stay in place.

These will be getting shipped out shortly, hopefully I can get some images of them installed in a week or so.

Couple of custom B5 sets…

Few shots of some custom B5 beltline sets that I’ve been working on recently.  First up is a plain weave set.  It’s very similar to a standard 11oz 2×2 twill set, the weave is just slightly different.  This plain is 9oz 1×1 weave.  It’s got more of a checkerboard look the diagonal the twill sets sport.

At first glance, it may not be blatantly obvious how much different the plain weave is from the twill.  The next few shots are of a twill weave piece (on top) and a plain weave piece side by side so the differences become more apparent.

Up next is a “silver carbon fiber” set, which really isn’t carbon fiber at all.  Texalium is really a fiberglass that has been powder coated with small flakes of aluminum to give it that shine.  It looks fantastic, but unfortunately the aluminum coating makes it very rigid and difficult to work with.  The fiber tends to break in half when it is forced to conform around complex corners.  I had to wrap this set 4 times before I got all of the fabric down without it breaking.

Because it is so difficult to work with, I rarely make texalium sets.  Unless you’re super patient (I’ve been working on this set for several months) and have some deep pockets, I will probably pass on any future requests to make additional texalium sets at this time.

Another 20oz set finished…

I’m liking this fabric more and more as I continue to complete sets with it.  This is the 4th overall 20oz set I’ve completed (two B5 sets and this is the second B6/B7 set).  The thicker fabric has a much tighter weave.

Page 10 of 13« First...89101112...Last »